Sponsored by Blundellsands Lodge No 2289 and consecrated in 1928, Old Crosbeian lodge draws its membership from former pupils and members of staff of Merchant Taylors’ School, Crosby.
Initially meeting at Reece’s Restaurant in Liverpool, the lodge has had various homes over the years but now it meets in its spiritual home, the school, on the fourth Monday from September to March, except for December.
The Installation of the Master takes place at the March meeting.
Visible in the lodge is a constant reminder of the lodge’s birth. Like many another, the lodge has as an item of furniture a small-scale tripod and lifting gear, and hanging there from is a block of stone, from a quarry at Jerusalem, which was presented to the lodge by guests at the consecration.
The lodge is a founder member of the Federation of School Lodges which is an association of some 167 or so similar lodges designed primarily to do two things; firstly, to provide an easy way for such lodges to become aware of each other’s existence and so make it possible for their members, when not in easy reach of their mother lodge, to make contact with another lodge similar to their own without relying on a chance encounter; and secondly, to promote an annual festival at which the opportunity would occur to members of Federated Lodges to meet together for their mutual enjoyment.
The history of the lodge thus far does not appear to show any events worthy of particular note
and today, despite the vicissitudes of life, the lodge continues to prosper in its Masonic endeavours, keeping in mind the contents of a letter from the Rev Canon Samuel Armour, Headmaster of the school from 1863 to 1903, who, though not a Freemason himself, welcomed the formation of the lodge and expressed the hope that “it might be an active centre for good in Liverpool, might foster and ennoble friendships, promote a spirit of loving kindness in thought and action, and so minister to the glory of God and the welfare of man”.