A brief history.
Our origins start with a meeting in the vestry of Skelmesdale Parish Church where the then Vicar and two congregation members all of whom were masons came up with the idea of forming a new lodge which subsequently became known as Stanley of Bickerstaffe consecrated in January 1912 and will be celebrating a centenary of this event in 2012.
So the idea was conceived in a church, born in Skelmesdale Town Hall where the consecration meeting took place and raised in the Skelmesdale Arms. We then moved to the Railway Hotel and finally to our present meeting place the Masonic Hall Ormskirk. The Lodge crest is that of the Earl of Derby who originally gave permission for its use and this is continued today by agreement of the family.
We in turn have also sponsored the formation of new lodges namely Stanley of Bickerstaffe Chapter, Beacon Lodge and Vale of Skelmesdale.
We meet on the second Tuesday of each month September to April inclusive and are acknowledged to be a very friendly Lodge. Our social occasions include an annual Ladies weekend at a hotel with a formal Ladies Evening which this year attracted 140 people.
In addition to raising funds for the West Lanc’s Masonic Charity which gives support to Masonic and non-Masonic requests we have given money to HCPT a trust which takes children with special needs to Lourdes each year, a donation towards a special wheel chair for a youngster and other worthy causes.
If you are interested in finding out more about us or indeed wish to join, contact the secretary.
We are not a religion we just strive to make good men better