A Brief History of the Lodge
The lodge evolved from Toxteth Lodge No 1356 in March 1930 and originally met in the Masonic Hall at 80 North Hill Street Liverpool. Consecration took place on 20th September 1930 and our first regular meeting was held on 18th October 1930. We then met on the third Saturday of each month and a new Worship Master was elected annually and installed in January. A Lodge of Instruction was formed in 1931 to help junior members develop their Masonic knowledge.
In April1932 we moved to the Masonic Hall in Hope Street Liverpool and our first meeting there was on 1st October when we changed to the first Saturday of the month and met from October to May and so continued for many years. The lodge having many seagoing members, mainly ship engineers, the Bar Lightship was featured in our crest
Charity is one of the mainstays of Masonry and to help raise funds and have enjoyment in the process a social committee was formed in 1937. Since then we have had many enjoyable events, which not only help members to bond, but also enables wives, families and friends to socialise, overall a family atmosphere has been created and incidentally been the source of new members.
Our main calendar of events yearly include a family weekend at various locations in March, garden party or informal social evening around June or July during the lodge’s summer break and our main formal Ladies’ Night Dinner and Dance in November, to which all members, families and friends are most welcome.
Wife’s of members set up their own social committee to arrange activities for charitable purposes and they have raised many hundreds of pounds for the Widows and Benevolent Funds. To show our gratitude for their help the lodge members invite them to dine with us after our meeting in May, and in December when carols are sung after dinner. Widows of the lodge are invited to attend our events and receive a small gift of cash and a present at Christmas. The lodge almoner ensures that any widow in need is given appropriate help.
The lodge celebrated 75 years during 2005 and a photo was taken of those present and to mark the occasion a detailed history of the lodge was researched and presented by W Bro A Jones. I gratefully acknowledge his work as the source of this summary.
50 continuous years in Masonry has been celebrated by four of our WM’s, Richard Carmichael in 1962, Vin Edwards 1999, Roy Walton 2006 and Ray Rawsthorne 2006.
During 2010 a proposal to move from Liverpool was researched and a subsequent proposal to move to Ormskirk was carried. The first meeting at Ormskirk Masonic Hall was held on Saturday 13th November 2010.
We now continue to meet on the second Saturday from October to May.
Currently the lodge has 22 members and if you would like to join us for an interesting and enjoyable evening we shall be very happy to explain how to proceed.
For further information please contact:
Les Donnell secretary by e-mail: L5209@westlancsfreemasons.org.uk